common / Best

BEST ARCHITECTURAL TREASURE

A.C. Freeman House

Businessman Augustus C. Freeman, who was described during the 1902 mayoral campaign as industrious, frugal and obliging … well-to-do, but probably not a millionaire, built the A.C. Freeman House in 1903. The two-story home is an example of the Queen Anne style of architecture, a rare site in Southwest Florida. The style is distinguished with bold colors, decorative gable roofs and dormers. Originally located on the corner of Marion Avenue and Booth Street, it was moved in 1985. In 1987, it became the first Charlotte County structure added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. Today it is owned by the city of Punta Gorda, housing a museum operated by the Punta Gorda Historical Society as well as housing the Punta Gorda offices of the Charlotte County Chamber of Commerce.

Return to top